A literary lunch with Brian Lavery and Alan Watson
Tuesday 14 May 2019
After a break, for £8.95 enjoy scones, strawberry jam and clotted cream before a showing of the film The Darkest Hour.
Churchill: Warrior by Brian Lavery
How a Military Life Guided Winston’s Finest Hours.
- Sunday Times Bestselling author writes on the unique 60-year military career of the Greatest Briton.
- A fascinating and complete overview of how Churchill’s military experiences and experience of command enabled him to lead Britain to victory.
- Covers his childhood, education, the First World War, the inter-war period and the events of the Second World War.
- Brian Lavery is a renowned maritime and military history author and had a Sunday Times bestseller with Empire of the Seas: How the Navy Forged the Modern World (Conway, 2012).
Churchill’s Legacy by Alan Watson
A fascinating account of the two celebrated speeches made by Winston Churchill in 1946.
- “A fine and insightful tribute to my great-grandfather’s political instincts and his courageous approach to difficult international matters. It also acts as a reminder of the need of vigilance and tenacity in defence of our hard-won freedoms. Although Churchill died over fifty years ago, the foundations of our current peace and freedom are drawn from those two speeches of 1946.”
- “A masterpiece. The manner in which Alan Watson has engaged in such detailed scholarship and the style and power in which he has brought the past to life is most impressive.”
Professor Ian White, Master of Jesus College Cambridge